Graham & Théa making a notice board for Theomerla.
Théa is from France and is staying with us as a volunteer.
Friday, 12 August 2016
August already! How time has flown. Here at Theomerla Eco Project Kristinehamn Sweden, we have been so busy. I thought I had better update everyone as to what has been happening.
Theomerla has had guests and volunteers staying here this summer from all over, we have had people from Germany, Taiwan, The Netherlands, UK, USA, Canada, Italy, Norway, Belgium, Spain and Sweden so far, and soon we will have some French visitors and a French volunteer.
Things Theomerla has achieved so far:
- We got the guest cottage decorated, fully furnished and booked out to a selection of guests. This also involved getting the cottage website up and running, advertising it on various listing sites, photographing it and creating information packs, merchandise and various other things for guests.
- We designed signs, got them printed and put them up in various locations, which will help people find us and find out about us.
- We have cleared most of the land around the guest cottage.
- Cleared a large area of land at the back of the main farm house which we want to put log benches and a fire pit on.
- Furnished and started renting out three bedrooms in the main farmhouse to retreat guests and B&B guests. These rooms are also used for volunteers.
- Advertised our first events.
- Registered Theomerla here in Sweden.
- Made various crafts, put them up for sale here and online.
- Got to know some of the neighbours, local farmers and business owners.
- Installed a solar shower outside by the pool.
|Inside Elk Grove Cottage|
We have achieved so much since November 2015 when we first moved in. We couldn't have done this without the help of our members, friends and volunteers. Your donations and help has meant so much to us and helped get this far, but there is so much more needed.
We still need all kinds of things and help to get us fully up and running, these include:
- Solar Panels - to keep costs down and help us be more self-sufficient and eco-friendly.
- A tractor - to help prepare the fields for growing crops and establishing a small campsite.
- Poly tunnels - so we can start to grow the vegetables and fruits.
- Various other hand and power tools.
What we hope to achieve over the coming months.
As autumn and then winter approaches, we hope to use this time to clear more of the land ready for spring. We are hoping to get some poly tunnels by then, so we can start planting seeds.
We have such a long way to go yet, so please - keep supporting our efforts. You can help in so many ways: Why not book a holiday in Elk Grove Cottage or at our B&B? Or book to come for a retreat and attend some of our events. How about buying more shares in Theomerla, or making a donation? Get involved with our Treasure Hunt, where you could also be a winner. How about buying some of the handmade artisan items from our online shop? And remember to tell all your friends and family about our Eco Retreat and Elk Grove Cottage!
Anyone who loves nature, wildlife, peace and tranquillity will absolutely love it here, no matter what time of year you visit.
In December, January and February it is a winter wonderland, time for skiing, ice skating, fishing and playing in the snow. The scenery looks so beautiful in the snow and this is the best time to see the Northern Lights.
March, April and May are the best months for elk, deer and other wildlife spotting. Everything starts to wake up and come back to life at this time. The flowers, plants and blossoms on the trees are stunning.
June, July and August are the hottest months, a great time for swimming in the pool here, or in the many lakes within easy reach, for visiting castles, museums and markets or get on a boat and island hop on the largest lake in the EU or just enjoy the sun.
September, October and November are the best months for mushroom hunting, berry picking and foraging for wild fruits.